- Year: 2009
- Genre: Horror, Mystery, Thriller
- Country: USA | Canada | Germany | France
- Language: English | American Sign Language | Estonian
- Time: 123
- Director: Jaume Collet-Serra
- Cast: Vera Farmiga, Peter Sarsgaard, Isabelle Fuhrman, ...
Kate and John Coleman are rebuilding their troubled marriage after the loss of their baby. The couple decide to adopt a child. When they meet 9-year-old Esther at the St. Marina Orphanage, they immediately fall in love with the well-educated orphan. Their son, Daniel is hostile to his new sister, but their deaf mute daughter, Max is enchanted with her - at first. Eventually, Kate begins to feel that Esther is manipulative and possibly even psychologically damaged. John refuses to listen to his wife's misgivings. Kate calls Sister Abigail at the orphanage, and the nun informs her that Esther has a troubled and mysterious history. Kate delves further into Esther's past and discovers she is not what she seems to be.